Sunday, June 22, 2008

SOAKED IN REDEMPTION: Ruth 4

REDEEMING FAMILY, LIFE and YOU
June 22, 2008
with Adam Waters


The notes here are very brief because I took the first half of the sermon and told about my journey towards Jesus and his impact on redeeming my life. I'd love to share that story in more detail with any who ask, but here's the short version just for laughs.
**went to church as a kid
**traveled far from Jesus for quite a while
**my parents prayed alot despite my anger and frustration with them, church, Jesus and the world
**met Christ face to face in a cornfield in June of 1994
**rethought the way I did everything from then on
**went to Lincoln Christian College... became a pastor

I want to share a second story with you…
 Remind you of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz’s story so far.
 READ Ruth 4

My great family tragedy was myself… Naomi/Ruth was death, separation, blessing… your family may be divorce… your family might be a loss of faith… your family might be full of addiction, anger or something else.
WHAT WILL YOU CHOOSE? To be Mara (bitterness) OR will you choose to swim?

As a swimmer, I choose to…
 SATISFY the Spirit’s leading.
 WIN the battles of the flesh.
 INHERIT the Kingdom.
 MANIFEST the character of God.

Redeeming Family
 My story of Family/Life Redemption is less drastic than some.
 Naomi and Ruth’s story is powerful (it reminds us they are real people not just characters in a book).
 What about your story?
 Can we set you on the path of Redemption today?

The book of Ruth was read every year during the Jewish celebration of Pentecost. Pentecost took on new meaning for the early Christians as a day of redemption and a new beginning for followers of Jesus.
CAN TODAY BECOME YOUR PENTECOST?
A day where your life begins new... a day where God redeems you and set you back into the path of his will for your life.

No comments: