Sunday, November 11, 2007

BALD PROPHET: Part 9

"EXPECTATIONS"
November 11, 2007
with Adam Waters


On thursday this week, I threw my sermon out the window...

INTRODUCTION
My norman sermon prep has about 8 steps.
1- outline months of sermon series
2- pic out my texts
3- themes for each text
4- specific series within the larger concept
5- brainstorm concepts for each theme
6- study my texts
7- outline a specific sermon
8- saturday night prayer

2Kings 8:7-16
**I thought this story of Elisha was so cool.
**Looking at someone and talking from God was awesome
**I wanted to talk with you about expecting to hear God's voice.

HAZAEL changed all that
**I realized when looking at this story that maybe we don't need a lesson on expectation again.
**maybe we do expect something
**How may of you have trouble reading the Bible sometimes?
**My experience is not that God doesn't speak me, but tha the majority of the time his voice convicts me.
**John 16 says that the Holy Spirit's role is "conviction and leading us to truth"
**I realized (like Hazael) that sometimes God tells us things that we don't want to hear.

INTERACTION WITH SCRIPTURE FROM AN EXPECTANT PERSPECTIVE
**our God is alive, active and knows the details of life.
**he is holy - both loving and just.
**In His wisdom, he inspired his servants to write down his truth so that future generations could hear his voice.
**His messages to us are sometimes filled with hope and grace.
**His messages to us are sometimes hard to swallow because they cut us to the core of who we are (Hebrews 4, 2Timoty 3)

MATTHEW 10
**our kingdom call has both hope and conviction in it
**read all 40+ verses of Matthew 10 and receive this hard message for us who follow Jesus
**Our challenge: to read our Bibles this week even if its hard, especially when its hard

MY EXPECTATION
That the power of God's voice can change your life this week!

No comments: